Clear and principled compensation.
- Transparency | We believe that transparent compensation decreases bias, confusion, and distraction.
- Equality | We believe two people at the same level should enjoy the same level of compensation.
- Rewarding Risk | We believe in rewarding employees who take risks, by joining the company early on, and/or by trading cash compensation for additional equity.
- No Negotiation | We don't believe better negotiators make better employees, and we know that negotiation preferences certain kinds of privilege.
- No Titles | We don't believe titles drive clarity, but rather that they drive bureaucracy, limit our ability to adapt or hold multiple roles in different contexts, and become brittle at scale.
- No Bonuses | We do not believe that incentives for complex activities result in greater motivation. We simply pay well and trust employees to do their best work. Our upside comes from increasing the value of our equity.
Murmur uses a leveling system that applies across all disciplines, made up of five tiers based in both skill and experience. The levels are based (in part) on the Japanese concept of Shuhari.
Level 0 - Post Education, Training, Bootcamp
Level 1 - Shu - Learner
Level 2 - Shu/Ha - Intermediate
Level 3 - Ha - Performer