We will practice this in session ‣
- Prepare and memorize part 1 (intro) and part 2 (calls to actions) — memorize once, feel confident, use forever. (See: Pitch Templates)
- Once someone agrees to get on a call w you, take 10-15mins studying the person's profile. Prepare by getting into this person's world. Think of 3-5 questions you're genuinely curious about. Write it down and keep it in front of you during the call.
- Part 1 2mins: Intro, thank you, what to expect
- Part 2 8mins: Ask questions. Be curious. (See: Questions Bank)
- Part 3 5mins: Calls to action
With a peer
The goal of this call: For her to either (1) share unpublished openings in the company, (2) refer you or your CV to the hiring manager or HR, (3) or get referrals of people to talk to.
- 30sec to 1min about you. Prepare this. This is sth you will practice and hone in all subsequence conversations.
- Why I reached out to you. I saw that you are position XXX in company YYY. Would love to hear about your experience
- What was your experience getting that role?
- Call to Action:
With hiring manager, senior people, even the CEO
The goal of this call: For her to (1) personally consider your application, or if there's no opening, (2) get referrals of people to talk to.
Behave the same as with a peer: friendly, personable, and curious. This signals that you are high status and are not servile to senior people.
- 30sec to 1min about you. Now you can use a more polished version of what you practiced above.