Includes stock options
The role and the work
Why we're hiring for this role
We are hiring a Business Operations Manager to manage and automate day-to-day business ops and lead on operational work related to international expansion. This will work towards the team goal of ensuring Spill has best-in-class scalable operations that support our growth targets.
You will have holistic ownership of Spill's business operations. This includes everything from managing our burn rate to ensuring we have accurate data on how much we invoice our customers every month. You will be building internal systems, working with third parties and championing the processes required to help Spill grow.
As well as managing and automating existing business operations you will design and lead on any new operational work to support Spill's international expansion.
You will work with other teams at Spill, with external contractors, on your own, and with our Counsellor Operations Manager to get the work done.
Some examples of work projects would be (i) building and managing a cashflow reporting system (ii) automating client invoicing to reduce people time spent on this task every month (iii) navigating US health tech regulation to hire a therapist in California.
The ideal candidate
We care about experience, traits, and attitude. We also care about diversity — we want to receive applications from as wide a range of people as possible.
- ✅ You have 2+ years of Operations experience. This could be at an ops role in another start-up or at a top consulting firm. You are excited about the chance to automate, improve and own processes like cashflow, invoicing and many others.
- ✅ You have had exposure to Finance. You do not necessarily need direct domain expertise - we have an external accountant - but you do need to be comfortable working on things like accounting, cashflow and budgeting.
- ✅ You can lead a workstream. At Spill you will have decision rights on how we shape the function. You will decide which trade-offs to make when juggling many different priorities. You will advocate for the function within the rest of Spill. If these statements excite you, that's a good sign.
- ✅ You are proficient in Excel. Proficiency in Google Sheets / Excel is a must - you need to be excited to get insights out of big data files. But you will also be working with a range of other software across the business. A desire to learn new softwares and potentially even a little code is important.
Traits and attitude
- ✅ You take decisions based on data. You track Ops KPIs religiously and use them to spot issues and improve performance. If you don't have the data yet, you can implement frameworks to help you decide the best path forward.
- ✅ You are comfortable with occasional chaos and ambiguity. You take a proactive approach to these things. When there's a lack of process you create it. When someone forgets to tell you something, you chase them until they do.