)'( What is Burning Man? Is it a festival?
- It's a temporary community dedicated to art, self-expression, and radical self-reliance, created by and for its participants
- Adhering to the 10 Principles, we all contribute to making Burning Man what it is
- The 2019 Burning Man Theme is Metamorphoses
- The Jackrabbit Speaks is the official Burning Man newsletter, it includes year-round info about the community, and important up-to-date information about preparing for Black Rock City
⛺️ What are theme camps?
- They make up the interactive core of Burning Man
- They give back to the community in some way. Examples:
- Bike repairs
- Guided meditations
- Breakfast burritos
- Grilled cheese
- Relationship counseling
- Check out some of them in the 2018 Theme Camp Directory - there are a lot!
- There are also villages, which are made up of 2+ theme camps
🔄 How does this whole bartering system work?
- There is no barter system
- Instead, there is a gifting economy! The idea is that people and camps give things away for free simply because they want to without expecting anything in return 🤗
💵 Since there's a gifting economy, does that mean I don't need to bring any money?
- You can buy ❄️ ice and ☕️ coffee at Center Camp, although ice is the only thing you really need to buy. We generally bring and make our own coffee, and there are plenty of camps who offer coffee as their gift to the playa.
👥 How many people attend Burning Man? What is the demographic breakdown?
- The 2019 census data is not available yet
- In 2018, there were 70,248 participants
- In 2017, there were 69,493 participants