- How many projects do you handle simultaneously?
- What was the largest project you have worked on in terms of people and duration?
10 team members, 1.5 year
- What is your preference Agile or Waterfall?
- Any experience working with a startup company?
90% of all projects that I did were startups
- Any experience working with a SaaS/ product company?
Only as a software development outsourcing vendor
- Why did you choose Project Management as your career?
I'm good at solving problems
What do you do as a Project Manager day to day?
- I do:
- Gathering requirements, deliverables, and timeframes from stakeholders
- Agreeing on priorities with clients
- Planning resources
- Producing reports for management (e.g., performance metrics)
- Communicating frequently with sponsors and stakeholder
- Planning around your team’s skills to ensure end success
- Adhering to the critical path and having a plan to mitigate issues
What makes a good project manager? Give examples
- 3 examples: PM is good if\when:
- you ask any teammate "do you know what the goal of the iteration is?" and they respond "yes"
- you ask his client (stakeholder) "what is the team doing the next 2 weeks? and 2 weeks after that?" and they respond "Feature X and Feature Z because they are on of our prioritized product backlog"
- you do not have to ask everyone what they're working on at the moment because a task board is regularly updated by every teammate
What is good communication? Give examples
If both sides of a conversation reach a meeting's goal, this is good communication.
Techniques to use to make a meeting effective.
- clarifying statements and questions that you didn't understand well
- not interrupting in the middle of a speech
- making notes and minutes
- ask open-ended questions, not close-ended
Being listened to:
- in the end of every statement re-confirm if it makes sense for your interlocutor (check in on whether they're following or fell asleep)
- observe one's body language in reaction to what you're saying (eyebrows, eye movements, cheeks, forehead, lips)