- Listening: These tools will let you monitor when others mention your account or certain keywords that you set up.
- Owned Accounts: These tools provide insights into your posts and your account performance.
Tools for Social Media Analytics
Copy of Tools for Social Media Analytics
- Apparently YouTube restricts or charges way too much money for access to their full firehose. Most solutions monitor a pool of accounts that they internally track. It's almost impossible to find a tool that will correctly pull every video
- In terms of listening, ask the platforms how they track videos. Better ones will track more than just the video title as they also pull keywords from the description and/or the YouTube game categories.
- Check what engagement stats the platforms use. I personally don't love the engagement stat Twitter uses (which includes things like media clicks) and prefer when they have their own listed engagement metrics (like comments, retweets, and comments only).
- Watch out if tools are using "potential reach" for your owned post analytics. All it takes is one large account like Xbox or Nintendo to tank your stats which can be a problem if your job is performance-based.
- Instagram is one of the few platforms that doesn't have analytic exports. If you post on Instagram and don't want to grab things by hand,
- Make sure to have an Instagram Business account for better in-platform analytics.
- Check what kind of owned post analytics the platform have. Some of them can only do the bare minimum posts on your feed, some include Stories (many do not), and even fewer include IGTV stats. If you don't rely on these tactics, it's not as much of an issue, but since IG doesn't provide analytics exports natively like the other platforms, it can make quite a bit of difference.
- Due to the security scandal, Facebook really locked down what they let people track when it comes to listening. Most platforms will only pull mentions from public pages and not from personal profiles.
Other Websites and Tools
Last updated: 2021-Apr-20