Find more from the Khaenri'ah Lore Project
Khaenri'ah Lore Project
This page is a quick reference to how Visions work, and how current Vision Holders/Allogenes received their Vision through a filterable table and a general categorization of the "event" that led to their Vision.
CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR INAZUMA.
When faced with circumstances beyond their control, humans often bemoan their lack of power. But if a person shows true strength of will at a desperate and fateful moment in their life, the gods will look upon them with favour. This is what Visions are. Magical foci bestowed upon those who have been acknowledged by the gods.
– Zhongli, The Fond Farewell
Visions consist of a "gem" for its element, and a holder custom to the bearer's region.
(Chinese: 神之眼 Shén Zhī Yǎn, "Eye of God")
- Visions are external magical foci given to mortals as recognition from the gods. They allow the bearer to channel elemental abilities through the elemental powers of the Archon that blessed them.
- "This favor is the Vision, an external magical focus given to those who have been acknowledged by the gods which they can use to channel elemental power. Celestia is the realm of the gods, and the wielders of Visions walk the earth below. When they depart from this world, the chosen will ascend." – Traveler, Vision Story
- "Visions are external magical foci that only a small minority of people possess. They use these Visions to channel elemental power. In truth, every wielder of a Vision is one who can attain godhood and ascend to Celestia. We call such people allogenes." – Venti, Ending Note
- "When faced with circumstances beyond their control, humans often bemoan their lack of power. But if a person shows true strength of will at a desperate and fateful moment in their life, the gods will look upon them with favour. This is what Visions are. Magical foci bestowed upon those who have been acknowledged by the gods." – Zhongli, The Fond Farewell
- Vision bearers are called Allogenes.** All Allogenes have a "chance to ascend to godhood", dwelling in Celestia and gaining immortality, protecting the world with the gods.
The only two known beings who have ascended to Celestia are Vennessa (ascended at Windrise after bringing an end to the Mondstadt Aristocracy, taking the form of a falcon) and Guhua (adeptus who ascended to Celestia in a purple haze and became a star).
- Allogenes themselves often know very little about how Visionhood works. Mona, Lisa, and Albedo are examples of Vision wielders who have attained theirs through mundane means (such as merely manifesting/willing it), expressing more interest in how it works.
- "In truth, every wielder of a Vision is one who can attain godhood and ascend to Celestia. We call such people allogenes." – Venti, "Ending Note"
- In Gnosticism, allogenes are half-human and half-divines "capable of communicating with realms beyond the sense-perceptible world, into the unknowable." 
- The Chinese term for allogene is 原神 which is also the title of the game Genshin. It literally means "original god".
- Visions are described as 'primitive tools' in contrast to the Gnoses (Singular: Gnosis, Chinese: 神之心 Shén Zhī Xīn, "Heart of God") that Archons bear.
- "We don't need primitive tools like Visions." – Venti
- In Teyvat, it is popular belief that only Vision wielders can manipulate the elements. This peculiarity with the Traveler is a constant point brought up in the Archon Quests.
- Kazuha in The Crux Clash: "To think a human could wield the elements without a Vision..."
- It's possible that Visions are not required to channel the elements. They are foci that augment. While they greatly empower those tapping into the elements, they're not necessary for combat — they function as an aid.