We’re going to use a Shortcut to add a source that’s open in the browser of your iPhone directly to Trickle without having to copy and paste the link. With this shortcut, you simply tap the sharing icon in your browser and run the shortcut from the menu that opens (that menu is called the Share Sheet). Creating a custom shortcut can be a bit tricky if you haven’t done it before, but we’ll give you easy to follow step-by-step instructions.
1. Create a New Shortcut
- Check that you’ve got the Shortcuts app installed on your iPhone. If not download it from the App Store.
- Open the Shortcuts app by tapping on the icon.
- Select My Shortcuts at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Click on + Create Shortcut. This will open a blank shortcut.
Create a new Shortcut
2. Edit Shortcut Details
- Click on the three dots … next to the words “New Shortcut”. This will open a new screen where you can name and customize the shortcut.
- Give the Shortcut a name like “Add to Trickle”
- Tap on the icon to customize it — this step is optional.
- Activate the Show in Share Sheet.
- An option to select Share Sheet Types appears, with “Anything” as the default setting. Deselect all and then enable only URLs. This automatically creates an action in the Shortcut called Accepts URLs >.
- Your Shortcut now has a name and one action (accepting URLs as an input).
Open Shortcut Details (three dots)
Naming, icon customization, Share Sheet activation
Deselect everything except URLs
Customizing the icon
Activate Show in Share Sheet, select URLs only
The Shortcut now has a name and one action
3. Add URL Encoding Action
- We need to add a few more actions to make the Shortcut work.
- Tap the blue plus sign icon + to add an action.
- Select Scripting and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to select the URL Encode option.