Welcome to the Bits of Good bootcamp! This course will take you through the fundamentals of building websites from zero to hero. It is meant to prepare new members to our organization to work on our project teams, which you can learn more about here!
By the end of this course, you should expect to...
- Learn the fundamentals of Git in a team setting
- Confidently place elements on a webpage using HTML
- Create flexible layouts, styling, and spacing on these webpages using CSS
- Be familiar with functional programming
- Focus on either of the following:
- Building scalable databases using MongoDB and expose that data using an ExpressJS API
- Building flexible frontend web applications using the ReactJS framework
- Build a website you actually deploy to the world wide web!
Breakdown of the course format
This course has three main learning mediums: in-person workshops every Tuesday and Thursday, video recordings to walk through activity solutions, and written materials for easy reference.
For those following along online, our recordings and written resources should be more than enough to follow along!
- In-person workshops will mostly be hands-on. We'll start each session walking through the concepts we'll be working on for a few minutes. Then, we'll dive right into coding! This can take the form of live-coding sessions that you can follow along with, or independent activities you'll work on with a partner. Yes, pair programming will be strongly encouraged!
- Video recordings will mostly walk through the same activities we complete in person. These are meant to recap the solutions and all possible approaches to the problem. They will also be helpful for those that can't attend some of the workshops, or those following along online. There will be links to all activities being shown in the recordings so you can follow along!
- Written materials are basically your goodie bags from each workshop. They distill all the core concepts we'll go over throughout the semester and provide links for extended practice. They may also serve as readings to complete before coming to a workshop, which will be clearly described on the course calendar.
Before getting started
There are a couple things to get squared away before we jump in:
- Bookmark this page so you can follow along. You can also download the Notion app for desktop or mobile to access these materials more easily. It's totally not required though! We just really like Notion for all the things 🙃
- If you're an in-person bootcamper, join the #gt-bootcamp channel on our Slack. We'll be posting updates the day before each in-person workshop to explain what we'll be covering.