GoodNotes is a digital note-taking app built for the iPad and Apple Pencil. The app is also available on the iPhone and Mac (at no additional cost).
Quick facts about the company
- Founded in 2011 by Steven Chan
- Team size: 63 (as of Nov 2021)
- Two offices: Hong Kong (HQ) and London
- GoodNotes Limited is the company that develops GoodNotes (formerly Time Base Technology)
- The app is localized into 13+ languages
GoodNotes' features & benefits
- Write all over the iPad, and move and resize text to the perfect place
- Search your handwriting, and find what you're looking for in seconds
- Highlight and annotate PDFs, PowerPoints, and eBooks
- Collaborate on the same notebook in real-time with other GoodNotes users
- iCloud sync to view the same notes on iPad, iPhone and Mac
Before GoodNotes, Steven Chan was a maths student in Australia, whose desk was always covered in looseleaf pages of his math derivations.
When the iPad came out in 2010, Steven saw the perfect opportunity to solve the frustration of constantly losing notes. What if he could use the iPad for a digital notebook, where he could easily make edits to his work and digitize all his notes? After searching for the perfect app to take handwritten notes on the iPad and coming up short, he set out to make his own.
In 2011, GoodNotes was released. Shortly after, it was featured on the Japanese App Store. With minimal marketing, word-of-mouth drove steady growth, and since the launch of the Apple Pencil in 2015, growth has been exponential.
Flash forward to today – we have millions of monthly active users, 2 offices with 30+ team members, and are continuing to grow at the speed of light.
Recent milestones in our journey
- January – GoodNotes 5 is released, featuring a whole new user interface and organizational structure. Existing GoodNotes 4 users can upgrade to GoodNotes 5 for free for the duration of 2019.
- October – Mac version of GoodNotes 5 is released, so users can access their notes on their computer
- August – GoodNotes releases collaboration, where multiple users can work on the same notebooks at the same time
- October – GoodNotes sets up its second office in London
Latest product news 🚀