Last updated: January 10, 2023 10:30 PM PT
What’s covered here:
- Running list of interesting examples of membership NFTs. Social tokens are closely related.
- Also running list of tools for creating membership NFTs / social tokens or that enable membership gating.
- Focusing more on membership communities with real world crossover or impact, including:
Typically, ownership of an NFT or tokens grants you membership in a community along with specific access + utility.
Not covered here:
- Many things going on with fractionalization of pure DeFi / NFT assets (eg. PleasrDAO, FlamingoDAO, etc.).
- Protocol governance DAOs (eg. MakerDAO, Ethereum Name Service, Sushi, etc.) which are themselves great examples of vibrant web3 communities with tokens.
- NFTs or tokens to be used solely in a game or metaverse
Memberships x Real World
Membership in these communities are gated via membership NFTs (think of the NFTs like membership cards or tickets). NFT purchase also serves as crowdfunding. These communities are organizing via web3 but attempting to do things in the real world.