Julien Evano, Head of Engineering at IXUP, shared with the community how he plans work with his teams 👇
As a summary, here is how we deal with Management by Objectives (MBO):
For business delivery
- Mission & Vision - Long term (1 to 3 years) - checkpoint every semester at Company updates
- high-level direction to drive the company towards a product/market.
- values to build the company culture, engage/motivate the teams, and set execution boundaries.
- high-level roadmap to give a direction of business initiatives.
- prepared at the Board and C-Suite levels
- Company and Department Strategic Goals - Bi-annually - checkpoint every quarter at Company and Council updates
- outcomes tracked as company/department OKRs to measure business values/revenue achievement and progress.
- high-level roadmap to plan and execute department initiatives.
- prepared at the C-Suite and V-level/D-level (VPs/Directors)
- Milestones - 60 days (4 sprints of 2 weeks) - checkpoint every week at Scrum-of-Scrum
- outcomes and outputs (epics and releases) tracked as team OKRs to measure delivery achievement and progress towards company strategic goals.
- low-level roadmap to plan and execute delivery activities.
- prepared at the B-level (mid-level managers) and team level
For personal development
- Department and Team Commitments - Bi-annually - checkpoint every month at Staff meeting
- outcomes tracked as team OKRs and SLOs towards company and department strategic goals
- continuous improvement of our way-of-working measured via product, engineering, people engagement, etc. metrics
- prepared at the team level
- Individual Commitments - Bi-annually - checkpoint as part of continuous performance management
- commitments tracked as individual OKRs and organised in two categories:
- outcomes towards team commitments
- personal development goals towards career progression and performance
- prepared at the individual and team (coaching, mentoring to succeed as a group) level
In terms of “good” goals, we try to follow the SMART approach depending on the maturity of the company, teams and individuals - with a continuous improvement mindset.